Year 6 had a fantastic first cycle to our year of learning. The children are more than ready to tackle all aspects of learning in Cycle 2.
As you aware booster sessions have started in our class. Your child will be invited to these sessions on a weekly basis, this will be in their diaries on a Friday afternoon. Booster sessions begin at 8am in the Year 6 classroom, your child will be provided with toast and juice after the session. The children will be selected according to what they need extra help with.
Your child may have come home and spoken about an extra lesson they are having in the afternoons. This is an intervention programme for our children to make sure they are more than ready for their End of Key Stage 2 Tests. This will focus on small therapies at a time which last around 30 minutes. The children are really enjoying these, and I can see their confidence grow daily.
Mr. Nattan is a student teacher from Manchester Metropolitan University. He will be with our class until the beginning of February. He will be developing his skills as a teacher week by week, the children have been extremely welcoming J
- Children must read every night and their diaries need to be signed by whoever the children have read with.
- Homework – your child will be given their homework on a Friday, this is then due back into school on Wednesday. If your child is struggling with their homework, please encourage them to come and speak to a teacher.
- E – P.E will be on a Thursday and a Friday. The children will need to be in full P.E kit, this is a white t-shirt and black shorts.
Cycle 2 Overview
|English||We will be finishing off Goodnight Mister Tom – the children have extremely enjoyed this book and have loved completing activities around this book.
We will then be moving on to Pig Heart Boy. With this book we will work on:
· Notes and scripts for debates
· Scripts for short plays and book trailers
· Persuasive texts Letters (both formal and informal)
|Maths||· Read, write, order and compare numbers up to 10,000,000 and determine the value of each digit.
· Round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy.
· Use negative numbers in context, and calculate intervals across zero.
· Solve number and practical problems that involve place value, rounding, and negative numbers.
· Solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why.
· Solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
|PSHE||· Relationships and reproduction|
|R.E||· What difference does it make to believe in ahimsa, grace and /or Ummah?|
|P.E||· Dodgeball Swimming / Cricket|
|Art||· William Morris|
We are looking forward to the year ahead of us, the children have made great progress already. You should be extremely proud of them just as much as we are J
Miss Stephens and Mrs.Woolley