Reception’s Key Texts this cycle are Biscuit Bear by Mini Grey and The Train Ride by June Crebbin.
Every Wednesday we would like parents to stay for a short time to read and share books with their child in class. We look forward to seeing as many parents as possible each week.
This term we will be learning the songs and speaking parts for our Christmas play ‘A Wriggly Nativity’. We look forward to performing this for you just before we break up for Christmas. Please help your child to learn their lines when they bring them home.
We have three focus children per class, per week. We record additional information on paper to be kept in the child’s folder in the classroom. Parents can contribute to this by bringing in or emailing photos to the Early Years email address. Examples of photos might be: A trip to the park, visiting family, swimming lessons. The photos may be used as prompts for your child to share news with the class or to write about. You will receive a letter when your child is selected as the focus child.
Most of the children are practising recognising and writing initial sounds. They are also sounding out simple words and then blending the sounds together to read the words, e.g mat, can, ship. Please practise this when reading with your child at home. Some children are beginning to write simple words using the sounds they know. Please encourage them to write at home aswell.
In Maths some children will be practising counting and recognising/writing numbers. Other children will consolidate one more and one less and will move on to simple addition and subtraction.
Well done to those children who have consistently followed the Always rules and have received their Always badge. We are very proud of you. Remember to wear your Always badge to school every day.
A reminder of the Always rules are:
- Always have kind hands
- Always have kind feet
- Always have a kind mouth
- Always follow the high five rules
- The children in Reception are able to enjoy our outdoor area in all weathers. As the weather is now turning much colder and wetter please ensure your child has appropriate clothing in school including; a hat, gloves and a warm/waterproof coat. Wellies are essential!
- Please ensure your child has a spare change of clothes at school in their bag at all times.
- Please ensure your child has their reading book in school every day with a comment in their reading record book about their reading at home. Your child’s class teacher will read with your child at least once a week and change their book.
- We aim to offer a range of snack options for the children, therefore we ask for a voluntary contribution of 50p per week to enable us to buy this. Please give this to your child’s class teacher every Monday.
- If you would like to sign up to target tracker please ask your child’s teacher for a consent slip and we can invite you to join online. All you need is an email address! This is a lovely way for you to see comments and pictures about what your child is learning in school.