Our fantastic trip to Chester Zoo – February 2018
Reception’s Key Texts this cycle are Yucky Worms by Vivian French and A Great Big Cuddle by Michael Rosen.
We are very excited to be having the opportunity to hatch ducklings during this cycle. The children will learn all about the life cycle of a duck. We hope this will be an unforgettable experience for the children.
We have three focus children per class, per week. We record additional information on paper to be kept in the child’s folder in the classroom. Parents can contribute to this by bringing in or emailing photos to the Early Years email address. Examples of photos might be: A trip to the park, visiting family, swimming lessons. The photos may be used as prompts for your child to share news with the class or to write about. You will receive a letter when your child is selected as the focus child.
The children are sounding out simple words and then blending the sounds together to read the words, e.g mat, can, ship. Please practise this when reading with your child at home. Most children are beginning to write simple words using the sounds they know. Please encourage them to write at home aswell. Others are beginning to write simple sentences.
In Maths the children will be practising simple addition and subtraction, doubling and halving.
A reminder of the Always rules are:
- Always have kind hands
- Always have kind feet
- Always have a kind mouth
- Always follow the high five rules
The children in Reception are able to enjoy our outdoor area in all weathers. As the weather is now turning much colder and wetter please ensure your child has appropriate clothing in school including; a hat, gloves and a warm/waterproof coat. Wellies are essential!
- Please ensure your child has a spare change of clothes at school in their bag at all times.
- Please ensure your child has their reading book in school every day with a comment in their reading record book about their reading at home. Your child’s class teacher will read with your child at least once a week and change their book.
- We aim to offer a range of snack options for the children, therefore we ask for a voluntary contribution of 50p per week to enable us to buy this. Please give this to your child’s class teacher every Monday.
- If you would like to sign up to target tracker please ask your child’s teacher for a consent slip and we can invite you to join online. All you need is an email address! This is a lovely way for you to see comments and pictures about what your child is learning in school.