Welcome to Reception class! We hope that everyone has had a lovely Summer. The staff that will be working in Reception this year are:
Miss Wills – Class teacher
Miss Livesey – Class teacher
Miss Froggatt – Early Years leader
Mrs Singh – teaching assistant
Miss Preston – teaching assistant
Miss Savage – 1:1 teaching assistant
What we learn
In Reception we work towards the children reaching the Early Learning Goal at the end of the year. The Early Learning Goal is found in the Early Years Foundation Stage framework and we will work within this framework to support your child’s learning and development throughout the year. In reception class children learn through play, therefore the children spend most of their day in continuous provision where staff observe the children and support their child-initiated play in order for children to achieve their next steps. Throughout the day the children will also take part in adult-led group activities; communication and language, phonics and maths.
The Early Years Foundation Stage framework contains seven areas of learning, each having a number of statements, which staff use in order to track your child’s learning and development.
There are three prime areas of learning;
- Communication and Language- This covers speaking, understanding and listening and attention.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development- This covers managing feelings and behaviour, making relationships and self-confidence and self-awareness.
- Physical Development-This covers health and self-care and moving and handling.
And four specific areas of learning;
- Literacy-This covers reading and writing.
- Mathematics-This covers number and shape, space and measure.
- Understanding the World-This covers technology, the world and people and communities.
- Exploring using Media and Materials- This covers exploring using media and materials and being imaginative.
Our topic for this half term begins with getting to know reception including learning the rules and routines. We then move on to learning about special people and places followed by transport.
In Reception class we have four rules which we encourage the children to follow at all times. Once a week we sit with the children to see who is following our rules. There are four steps for the children to take in order to receive their Always badge. The Always badges are presented by the head teacher and are for the children to wear to school every day!
- Always have kind hands
- Always have kind feet
- Always have a kind mouth
- Always follow the high five rules
- The children in reception are able to enjoy our outdoor area in all weathers, therefore as the weather changes throughout the Autumn term please ensure your child has appropriate clothing in school for all weathers; including hats, gloves and wellies when appropriate.
- Please ensure your child has their reading book in school every day with a comment in their yellow reading record about their reading at home. Your child’s class teacher will read with your child at least once a week and change their book regularly.
- We aim to offer a range of snack options for the children, therefore we ask for a voluntary contribution of 50p per week to enable us to buy this. Please give this to your child’s class teacher every Monday.
- If you would like to join orbit please ask your child’s teacher for a consent slip and we can invite you to join online. All you need is an email address! This is a lovely way for you to see comments and pictures about what your child is learning in school.